Thursday, March 11, 2010

Supporter of Gregory Reyes on his Court room Trial

I am writing in support of Greg Reyes to urge leniency in your sentencing. With all deference, he has suffered enough.

I am a corporate securities lawyer and have practiced law for 33 years since graduating from UCLA School of Law in 1974. I was (he first woman partner at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati where I worked for 21 years, leaving in 2001. (I am not writing this letter on behalf of Wilson Sonsini. I am writing on behalf of Greg.) I am presently Executive Vice President, International Strategy & General Counsel at Obopay, a start-up company in the Bay Area which provides a mobile payments service. I have worked in the Silicon Valley for all of my career. While at Wilson Sonsini, I represented many companies, from start-ups to Fortune 100, including Sun Microsystems, LSI Logic, Coherent, VA Linux and many others. I have worked with hundreds of CEOs and executives of all types.

I represented Greg's father for approximately 21 years and got to know Greg during that period. In approximately 1994 (I can't remember the exact dates), Greg asked me to represent Wireless Access of which he was CEO. I worked closely with him from approximately 1994 to 1996 or 1997 and would have continued to work with him when he joined Brocade had I not represented a competitor. Greg was a very talented and effective CEO and worked tirelessly to make the business successful. His team respected him and he was a good leader. He cared a lot about the people who worked for him and they knew it. He lived and breathed the business, consulted with his Board regularly and constructively. He frequently expressed his desire to do what was in the best interests of his employees and shareholders. During the time I worked with him, he always acted ethically; I never saw him cross the line. He listened to advice, engaged in discussion to understand the advice, but he always took the advice given.

While I represented Greg his children were born. There has never been a more loving and caring father. He was so proud of them. He has also always been devoted to Penny and despite these difficult last few years, has provided strength and support to his family. This experience has humbled him greatly and nearly broken his spirit I think he has made it through because his family, especially his children, needs him to be strong.

I would like to relate a story about Greg which I believe reflects accurately Greg's character. In 1995 my son, Connor, was in 5th grade and needed to do a school project m which he interviewed someone, wrote an essay and then gave a speech in class about what he had learned. Greg agreed to be the interviewee. He spent an entire afternoon with Connor teaching him about wireless paging technology, dug up information for Connor to help him with his report, had his executives describe the technology and gave Connor a pager to bring to class. During Connor's presentation Connor sent Greg a page and Greg paged him back. The class (and teacher) loved it The pager was a huge hit (remember that this was before cell phones were ubiquitous) The experience made a huge impression on Connor and for many years after that Connor told everyone that he wanted to be a CEO like Greg Reyes. This was one of those simple experiences where someone takes time to help a kid that changes the kid's life. I will always be grateful to Greg for taking time out of his busy schedule to help my 12 year old son. The truth is, I think Greg loved doing it. He loves kids and enjoys helping them.

I have known Greg well for many years. While the jury may have found him guilty, I believe Greg believed that he was acting in the best interests of the company He is hard driving CEO who wants to succeed but I can't believe that he would intentionally break the law. Greg has already been punished severely and he faces yet more legal difficulties. I urge you to be lenient.



Realtime Court Status



Gregory Reyes

No comments:

Post a Comment